Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Avoiding Auto Repair Scams: How to Show Mechanics You're Smart Too


by Rob Hopp, Cars for Keeps Owner

Cars are complicated, but it’s not rocket science. We just happen to know cars really well.

One of the best questions you can ask is “why?” If you aren’t working with a salesperson who can make it understandable, perhaps you are working with the wrong one. If the representative acts like they just want to show you how smart they are, watch for other red flags.

Early in my career, I worked under a salesman that was very car smart but had the ethics of an ambulance chaser. The tipping point was when he took advantage of a woman who said she couldn’t afford a procedure that would not cause a reliability problem or danger, especially short term. He advised, in his puffed up “all knowing” manner, that she shouldn’t drive over 35 miles an hour until she got it taken care of.

She came in the next Monday to have it done, exclaiming that “It took so long to drive to Cadillac at 35 & lots of other drivers were rude to me”.

Most consumers are pretty good at listening to their gut feelings. But when people feel put on the spot concerning a car repair, they can be very susceptible to manipulation. So ask the old reporter's questions: Who, What, Where When & Why? If you feel like the salesperson is evading or spinning the answer, push them a bit. Don’t be afraid to insist on having it explained - and, if necessary, to walk away (hopefully drive away, beware when a shop dares to hold your car hostage).

Here are some common questions that you might feel are “dumb” to ask, but they're actually very smart. It IS your money we're talking about, after all.

1) What happens if I don’t do this service? Good answer: “If this part fails, the wheel could separate from the car without warning.” Lousy answer: “The wheel WILL fall off and cause a crash.”

2) Why does it need to have that done? Good answer: “It is worn beyond the safe point”, or “It will help the ____ last longer and save you money in the long run.” Lousy answer: “Because the Mechanic said so”, or “It’ll cost you a lot more if you don’t.”

3) If I go ahead with your recommendation, what are the potential surprises? Is this estimate solid? The answer should avoid scare tactics, yet an honest salesperson will explain any potential pitfalls, their and their mechanics' opinion of the odds. They should also guarantee NOT to exceed the estimate without contacting you to discuss the findings, options and cost of the change.

4) I only plan to keep this car for another year. Is there any way to save some money on this service? Most of the time less expensive/lower quality parts can be had. A good salesperson will work with you to control costs without compromising too much quality or safety.

Happy Motoring!


Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Instant Garages said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Nicole said...

These are good tips for all car owners. Anyway, I believe these services are also offered by some car dealers. Indianapolis (Indiana) has several auto dealers whom I've talked to, selling different car models. But I'm still weighing my options, though I got my eyes on one of those 2010 Chevrolet Corvette Z16 Grand Sport w/3LT. It's so cool, I'm telling you. I have to say, auto dealerships in Indianapolis have got the best offers in pre-owned cars and services.

Mesa Brake Repair said...

very interesting and useful information. Keep updating it.

Albuquerque Brake Repair said...

very Exclusive and useful post.

Auto Repair Vancouver said...

All the tips about auto repair Vancouver are very useful for the owners of vehicles. They can avail a lot from this article.

Alex don said...


I admire what you've got accomplished here.
poway air conditioner repair
poway air conditioning service

Unknown said...

Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject!
http://stopandsaveautorepair.com/