Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The 435,000 Mile Lexus: Dedicated Maintenance Goes the Distance

by Marjorie, Social Media Manager

Rob and I were having a chat about oil changes the other day, and I asked him how frequently his average customer visits the shop for routine maintenance, such as oil changes. Although I asked the question for marketing purposes, I was also personally curious to know how the "average" driver maintains his or her car, as I myself am a notoriously neglectful car owner.

His answer was as you would expect: all drivers are different! Some come in for the recommended 3,000 mile oil change, some for 7,000 miles, and a few (like me) come in for maintenance only when their car is hacking and wheezing from a dry engine.

However, I was shocked when he told me about one customer in particular who visits Cars for Keeps for an oil change every two to four weeks. "Two to four weeks - you mean twice a month??!!" I said, aghast that someone would be that dedicated to their car's maintenance. "Isn't that just...unnecessary?" I asked Rob, who did an equivalent of an over-the-phone shrug. "Well, his Lexus is the best in our High Mile Club," he said.

Like all good business owners, Rob keeps tabs on his best customers, inducting owners of cars that show...shall we say "unusual vitality" into the Cars for Keeps High Mile Club. The Club includes vehicles - many of them older - that are still running smoothly after an impressive number of miles (thanks to dedicated owners and the automotive expertise of the Cars for Keeps crew). But Gale and his 2000 Lexus LS400 tops them all, purring smoothly after a whopping 435,000 miles!


Perhaps Gale's bi-monthly oil change visits are a bit excessive, but if you compare the cost of two oil changes per month to a monthly car payment, he's getting quite a deal. In the end, buying a new car (or a new engine or transmission) is far more expensive than maintaining the one you already have. We're not suggesting you come in every month for an oil change, but coming in every three months for an oil change and routine inspection can save you (and your car) from a lot of grief. Remember, Cars for Keeps' routine "Pit Stop" inspections are always free!

Safe driving!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for such an awesome blog, I am in fact good to see this post. Nice article. auto repair Wylie Texas

Scratch Car Corporation said...

Very informative and useful post. I see you have a lot of other cool stuffs available in your disposal, I am going to bookmark it to read in my spare time. Thanks and keep the good work up.

Read an interesting Blog on "Auto Scratch Repair Service" now