Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Woman's Point of View: Black Ice, Heating/Cooling and Mufflers

by Colette, Cars for Keeps Office Manager

Going down the list of subjects we should be talking about in our Blog, I find myself thinking about my own past experiences with my cars. For example; Driving On Ice Safely.

Take one teenager driving her father’s car at night on slippery streets. I come to a stop where I either have to turn right or left. Directly ahead is someone’s driveway that leads to the garage. Simple enough except I can’t stop. I am continuing to slide all the way down the driveway where the door to the garage is open, thinking, “I am going to go right through the back of this man’s garage”, “I wonder what is behind the garage? A cliff?”, and “My dad is going to kill me when he gets the bill for this one”. The happy ending was that I stopped inside the garage before reaching the back wall. Whew!

Or the subject of Heating/Cooling System Maintenance. We all know that a lot of heat is generated in a running vehicle. The cooling system is to keep the engine heat down so the engine won’t burn up. Very important. A friend, who was a long distance trucker, once told me that he would wrap a beef roast, potatoes and corn on the cob in tinfoil and cook it on his manifold. He said it would take up to 350 miles in the summer and about 700 miles in the winter to cook it to perfection. I am fairly gullible so I still don’t know if I should believe it or not. I would like some feedback on that one.

And, last but not least, the subject of Cars For Keeps Muffler Shop. I am having this image in my mind of our mechanics, Mike, Robert and Steve, sitting on oil cans out in the garage knitting these long, long scarves (used to be called mufflers) and then wrapping them around the car’s windows and tying them expertly with various knots. To bring out the personality of each car, of course. Color is important. I have to stop my imagination before this turns into a Disney movie.

To finish on a serious note, winter is very hard on mufflers, what with the extreme cold, ice chips flying up under your car and scraping bottom on snow and ice. Tis the season to be a little more aware of what is happening underneath your vehicle.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

An Thái Sơn với website anthaison.vn chuyên sản phẩm máy đưa võng hay máy đưa võng tự động tốt cho bé là địa chỉ bán máy đưa võng giá rẻ tại TP.HCM và giúp bạn tìm máy đưa võng loại nào tốt hiện nay.

Jainex said...

Well written. The information is great and will share with friends even you can get excellent details on SUS 304 SS Rods Suppliers

steelgems said...

Now I have something to share it with my friends, usually I used to share the details on Stainless Steel 304 Sheet Plate Coil and about SS 316 Buttweld Pipe Fitting